Last month I brought Flowerhorn Fish for my fresh water aquarium. Flowerhorn is belong to cichlid family. Flowerhorn has many variations such as Kamfa, King Kamfa, Faders, Albino FH etc etc… I brought the long body pearl spotted flowerhorn – 2inch in size. The flowerhorn is manmade hybrid fish so it is not mix with any fish, need to keep separately, otherwise both fish will keep fighting until anyone died. So, I also keep only one flowerhorn. It is aggressive, emotional, and territory lover, never allow anybody in his area.
Flowerhorn is very delicate fish need to maintain the fish tank very well. Otherwise fish may get ill and chance to die. Flowerhorn is very sensitive fish react with every changes happen in aquarium, be careful while changing water or adding any new decorative in tank. I am handling the fish several month have plenty experience which help the new beginners –
Selection of Fish –
Each Flowerhorn breed is very exotic and delicate. Each have same behavior and aggressiveness. If you planning to buy mature – big size fish than check the few following points which give perfect value to your money –
- Well grow hump
- Bright color
- Active and aggressive
- Black Marking in body – consider eight visible marking.
But, when you planned to buy young or baby flowerhorn then it is difficult to check above point. Just check the activity of Flowerhorn, color of flowerhorn and come baby flowerhorn having small hump. See if it is interacting with your figure or not. Other then this buy young flowerhorn is not that much risky as it is cheap and the growth of flowerhorn is depend on fishers.
Each breed of flowehorn has their own distinguish quality. You can select any breed of Flowerhorn as per you choice.
Aquarium Set Up –
Flowerhorn need not have some special aquarium. Only thing is the fish tank must be big and much spacious to move fish happily. Many prefer the simple tank without gravel or decorative. But I suggest that we can have some decorative aquarium for flowerhorn too. See some tips to decorate Flowerhorn Aquarium –
- Flowerhorn is digger and love to dig continuously. So add some big size fine rounded gravels which not hurt them while digging.
- Add some simple background to aquarium.
- Plants – It is suggested not to add Plants as Flowerhorn will end up this plant by digging or biting it. But still you can add the Java Moss – it is come with pads which delight the Flowerhorn. Other than that floating plant can advisable.
- Terracotta Pot – some flowerhorn love to hide. So adding Terracotta Pot can be work great. But it must be safe and fine cut and kept in perfectly as it not hurt fish anymore.
- Artificial Plant – Well I am not suggesting adding artificial plant as time pass the articial plant become dangerous to fish.
Flowerhorn is great eater. Can eat all time whenever you feed. But please make discipline your fish by feeding two times in a day at perfect time. It is observation that newly brought fish never eat or trying to hiding in corner. In this case never worried, it is because fish is not settled at aquarium. Give some days to manage it. You only need to put food on tank. And keep it for five minute. If it eats than ok otherwise remove it. Keep repeating this process until fish get use to you.
Feeding live food is good as it is nice source of protein. Feeding once a while is nice to feed but never feed continuously live food as it spoils your fish’s health.
Shrimps, Small Fish, earth worm or tinned peas, algae, bloodworms, mosquito larvae, earthworms are some of live food for flowerhorn available in nearest aquarium. Apart from live food please select the food which has more than 35% of protein.
Aquariums Maintenance –
- Flowerhorn is polluting tank very fast, this increase the pH level of water which is harmful for fish. So check the pH level. The food left become dirt in the fish tank and cause to add more to the nitrite level in the water. So feed that much which can finish in five minute, the left ever food remove it.
- Add a Biological Filter which constant keep cleaning the food and keep the tank crystal clean. Also add the pump filter which helps to pump the waste of tank clean water in quickly.
- Every week remove the 30% water (depending of polluted water, if it is much polluted and colored than remove more than that.) and add dichloride water.
- Clean entire tank once in month.
- Clean the biological filter and pump filter with running water or warm water. Sea salt water can be used for it.
- Clean the gravels with some warm water.
There are several disease seen in flowerhorn. If your flowerhorn is not eating and moving than it is because your flowerhorn is ill. In this case add some Tetracycline in tank, it will give some relax to fish. Keep watch in fish and observed all moment of fish and consult to nearest fisher expert to get diagnose the disease and treatment for it.
Well keeping flowerhorn is not easy task but when you see your fish to grown you will delighted. It is fun to play with flowerhorn as it always react to your movement and will become your family member too.
Or you can directly ask me for any query related the Flowerhorn @ 90286 59210 or yash_naik24[at]yahoo.com